The ACLU of Virginia protects the right to register and vote, and promotes racial equality in the electoral process.
Did you have photo ID problems on Election Day? The ACLU of Virginia wants to hear from you. Please call 1-804-644-8080 or email us your story to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Voting Rights Restoration Information
In June 2015, Governor McAuliffe announced new significant reforms to the restoration of rights process. Click here for more on How To Restore Your Rights.
2015 Voters’ Rights Information
- 2015 Voter Empowerment Pocket Card – English (Ingles)
- 2015 Voter Empowerment Pocket Card – Spanish (Español)
- 2015 Voter Rights Flyer – English (Ingles)
- 2015 Voter Rights Flyer – Spanish (Español)
- Check your voter registration status (link to the Department of Elections site opens in a new window)
- Register to vote online (link to the Department of Elections site opens in a new window)
- Print and mail in the Department of Elections’ Voter Registration Application (pdf)
- Virginia Absentee Ballot Application (pdf)
- Virginia Annual Absentee Ballot Application (for permanent residents of Virginia who are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability) (pdf)
- Department of Elections Website (link opens in new window)
The Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2015
Check out this video featuring ACLU of Virginia Board member Dr. Howard Gholson as he and others reflect on the state of voting rights in Virginia during the 1960s.
News & Commentary
PRESS RELEASE: Virginia voters who are denied access or have other problems at the polls this Election Day are encouraged to call or write the ACLU of Virginia for help. read more »
BLOG: Today, we sent a letter to the entire Virginia Congressional delegation asking them to restore the Voting Rights Act by supporting the Voting Rights Advancement Act. read more »
BLOG: It’s been two years since the U.S. Supreme Court gutted the most powerful tool in the Voting Rights Act (VRA). The decision, Shelby County v. Holder, struck down Section 5, the pre-clearance formula---a provision that spent nearly 50 years stopping and deterring discriminatory voting measures in their tracks in jurisdictions with a history of nefarious voting practices. read more »
PRESS RELEASE: The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia today sent a letter to Republican Party of Virginia (RPV) Chair John Whitbeck urging the party to reject a proposal to charge delegates a fee to vote in a convention to nominate a presidential candidate in 2016. The fee would be unlawful under the Voting Rights Act and the Constitution, both of which prohibit poll taxes, said the ACLU. read more »
In the Courts
State Residency Requirement for Petition Circulators read more »