The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! We are looking for an experienced, strategic, and collaborative Senior Staff Attorney who wants to advance civil liberties and civil rights in Virginia by using a variety of strategies including litigation, public education, and advocacy. The ideal candidate is an experienced manager and litigator who can help lead our legal team through case selection and development while executing a wide range of impact litigation strategies. The ideal candidate thrives under pressure and is always professional, with strong analytical and coaching skills. They should also be comfortable delegating tasks and enjoy helping others turn ideas into action. See full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premier guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. We are also committed to pursuing impactful policy changes at the local and statewide level that work to achieve racial equity and the advancement of civil liberties and civil rights for everyone. The ACLU-VA works with many clients who are incarcerated and have been historically impacted by systemic racism and social inequities. The ACLU-VA is committed to ending racist policing, cutting the number of people who are incarcerated in Virginia, increasing access to quality mental and medical care for people who are incarcerate, ending sex and gender-based discrimination at work and in schools, and securing a constitutional right to vote for everyone.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Participating in case selection and development, including conducting research, evaluating strategy, and analyzing potential claims;
- Developing and executing a wide range of impact litigation, including leading or co-counseling selected litigation; drafting pleadings, motions, briefs; conducting discovery; taking and defending depositions; arguing motions; trying cases; handling appeals; working with experts; and negotiating settlement agreements;
- Supervising designated legal staff; and
- Assisting in setting priorities for the legal team.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Experience litigating cases in federal and/or state courts and ability to lead and independently manage cases and legal projects;
- Experience in delegating effectively to attorneys, law fellows, cooperating attorneys, paralegals, interns or other staff with the ability to provide clear direction, set priorities, meet deadlines, provide meaningful feedback, and hold staff accountable;
- Ability to think critically and solve complex problems;
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
- Strong self-motivation and capacity to handle numerous deadlines and work in a fast-paced, bustling environment; and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $79,096 to $109,576. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Due to COVID-19 and our desire to keep our employees safe, our organization currently is operating 100% remotely. This will continue until at least July 1, 2021 or until such time that it is determined to be safe to return to a physical office setting. After that time, we will have an interim remote work policy in place that will offer remote work flexibility to all staff for up to a year after we return to our physical office space.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via this Application Form. Please confirm that all of your application materials are in PDF form before starting the application. Applicants with a disability may contact ACLU-VA via email@example.com to request and arrange for accommodations. If problems are encountered with the Application Form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit your application as soon as possible as we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.