The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing, and we are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is excited to play a pivotal role in our office as the administrative contact for our whole staff and a support person for our Executive Director. We need someone who is energized by creating and maintaining systems that ensure the smooth daily functioning of an office. This position provides a bird’s eye view of the inner workings of the ACLU and the Virginia affiliate office, and there is ample opportunity to collaborate with every team to gain insight on how the organization runs. The successful applicant will understand how to take that perspective to create and promote organizational improvements across the office. See full job description below for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The -VA is dedicated to reforming our criminal justice system, ending sex discrimination and ensuring equality for all, and protecting freedom of speech and religion, abortion access, voting rights, and right to privacy.
What You'll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Providing the public with superior customer service and relevant information.
- Ensuring a tidy and inviting office space while managing office operations and developing systems that maximize efficiency for all staff members.
- Ensuring all staff members have the necessary materials and resources to operate effectively.
- Supporting our Executive Director with calendaring, expense tracking and timekeeping.
- Helping with board meeting logistics and board member communication.
Who You Are
We’re seeking a candidate that:
- Has a genuine excitement for “behind the scenes” work, an obsession with details and a commitment to improvement.
- Enjoys building strong internal relationships to achieve results.
- Can juggle several projects and consistently re-prioritize tasks with a spirit of flexibility and positive outlook.
- Is a natural self-starter who gets energy and momentum from crossing things off their to-do list.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU of Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to involve all those who can contribute to our inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. Persons with disabilities may request accommodations.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $31,300.00 to $46,300.00. In addition, we offer excellent benefits include paid time off; generous paid holidays; 401k plan with employer contribution; medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement and a current resume to Jess Powers, Director of Finance and Administration, ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219 or by email to Jobs@acluva.org with “Office Assistant” in the subject line of the email.
Applications accepted until position is filled. Submit your application as soon as possible. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.