The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! We are looking for an experienced finance & HR professional who can help us maximize our potential in terms of financial strength, people power, and impact. The ideal candidate is an organized natural self-starter with a strong orientation to systems-level thinking and team-wide operations. Ability to anticipate problems, a collaborative work ethic, and a high bar for excellence are also critical. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader who can navigate a wide array of finance & HR responsibilities with ease, consult with employees of all levels on financial and personnel matters, and effectively shape a culture to ensure everyone can thrive. See job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The ACLU-VA is dedicated to reforming our criminal justice system, ending sex discrimination and ensuring equality for all, and protecting freedom of speech and religion, abortion access, voting rights, and right to privacy.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Performing essential day-to-day financial functions such as maintaining financial accounts, preparing invoices and deposits, and handling all accounts payable entries;
- Assisting in preparation of an annual budget, monitor all expenditures in accordance with the budget, and facilitate regular meetings with staff to discuss budget variance and forecasting;
- Ensuring timely and accurate completion of compliance and financial reports, including charitable organization renewals, corporation commission reports, year-end income tax reports, and monthly financial statements and investment reports;
- Managing employee payroll, timekeeping, and vacation and sick leave records;
- Managing employee benefit programs; and
- Collaborating across the organization to coordinate recruitment and hiring logistics, onboarding, offboarding, and training on finance and human resources matters.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures and their application to basic accounting; experience in analyzing financial information;
- Knowledge of human resources management principles and methods;
- Exceptional organizational skills and systems-oriented working style that allows identification of problems as opportunities to generate solutions that will have an impact tomorrow and long-term;
- Ability to translate financial concepts clearly to folks less familiar with them;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work inclusively across lines of difference in a variety of settings; and
- Ability to understand how work impacts people differently and desire to work to fully integrate differentiated strategies across teams for seamless engagement.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $47,500 to $67,500. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Jess Powers, Director of Finance & Administration, by email to email@example.com with “Finance & HR Manager” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed July 15, 2019 and will be accepted until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.