The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia is growing! We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to lead ACLU-VA's talent recruitment, development, and performance management systems and ensure efficiency and accuracy around the organization’s critical finance, operations, and administrative needs.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rightsfor all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The ACLU’s civil rights agenda includes the pursuit of racial justice in the criminal legal system (from arrest to prosecution through incarceration) and at the ballot box, and we are committed to making real change in how Virginians are policed, reducing police/community interactions and redefining public safety. Our civil liberties agenda includes challenges to the way protests are regulated and policed, social media accounts are censored by government officials, and student speech and protests are limited at colleges and schools (physical or virtual).
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
Designing and overseeing creation of an annual budget and the execution of a budget management plan to ensure all teams meet budget goals and are apprised of their expenditures timely;
- Ensuring compliant fiscal stewardship of our organization and spending driven by the affiliate vision and priorities;
- Establishing and maintaining high level operations and risk management best practices;
- Leading the operations team to execute strong operations, logistics, systems, and compliance on the day-to-day level, while also anticipating longer-term needs;
- Collaborating with the members of the Senior Leadership Team to develop staffing and succession plans that create ladders for promotion and support investment in focused professional development that benefits both the organization and individual staff members; and
- Creating scalable and efficient systems and processes that facilitate and bolster a culture where all staff thrive while encouraging lateral cooperation and cross-team engagement among executive, legal, communications, development, advocacy, and operations teams.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Successful experience working on a team in a senior leadership capacity – managing laterally and coaching and supervising staff from diverse life experiences and racial backgrounds.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems, including databases, online communications, word processing, spreadsheets, and accounting software.
- Strong financial management skills including experience in budget planning and implementation, revenue forecasting, financial planning and modeling, skill in reading and analyzing financial statements, and knowledge of non-profit accounting practices.
- Knowledge of human resources management best practices and systems including onboarding and talent recruitment.
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information such as donor records, financial statements, and personnel records.
- A commitment to the mission and values of the ACLU of Virginia, and to racial justice and civil rights issues, and an understanding that these issues are central to the overall protection of civil liberties.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
The starting salary range for this position is $71,506 to $106,734. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits including paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Due to COVID-19 and our desire to keep our employees safe, our organization has committed to a flexible and remote work environment until at least July 2021. Nonetheless, the person we hire will live and work in Virginia out of our downtown Richmond, VA office with standard Mon-Fri business hours and occasional travel throughout Virginia.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Cynthia Moore, Chief of Staff, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with“Director of Finance and Administration” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed May 17 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.