The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is looking to hire a dynamic Director of Communications to join our Senior Leadership team. We are looking for a strong leader with expertise in traditional and online communications and advocacy, creative content, and public relations to lead the communications team and be the key spokesperson for the ACLU-VA. The Director will participate in setting organizational goals and priorities and in strategic planning, develop and manage the organization’s communications budget, and assist in raising funds to carry out the ACLU-VA mission. If you are ready to take the reigns and be responsible for the planning and execution of a communications strategy that maximizes ACLU-VA’s statewide impact and its ability to achieve its mission and established goals and objectives, then we want to hear from you. See the full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premier guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The ACLU of Virginia uses integrated advocacy that brings together litigation, legislative advocacy, public education, membership and community engagement and collaboration that centers and empowers marginalized people and members of impacted communities in our work to achieve its mission and goals.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Building and directing strong, well-designed, well-defined strategic communications plans and programs that promote civil liberties and civil rights across the Commonwealth and empower members, supporters and the public to help ACLU-VA achieve its mission and strategic policy objectives.;
- Serving as a key spokesperson for the ACLU-VA;
- Overseeing development and implementation of a strategic and targeted calendar of public speaking engagements that maximizes opportunities to build public awareness of and support for the ACLU-VA brand and its strategic objectives and programmatic goals across diverse communities and audiences statewide;
- Actively training staff, board members and other community leaders to be effective ACLU-VA messengers, serving as an internal coach on effective public speaking, press interactions, writing, social media, and other communications strategies; and
- Developing metrics for measuring the effectiveness of the ACLU-VA communications programs and overseeing the preparation of regular reports.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- A commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, and to racial justice and civil rights issues and an understanding that these issues are central to the overall protection of civil liberties.
- Significant professional, managerial and leadership experience in strategic communications and media relations including:
- Experience serving as a spokesperson for campaigns or organizations.
- Experience writing, editing and producing effective communications materials for publication in print and online.
- Experience effectively managing, supervising and developing individual staff, building and developing teams
- Ability to identify and segment multiple audiences, determine the best distribution channels for each audience, and transform key messaging points depending on the intended audience in order to ensure the highest impact level.
- Willingness and availability to work beyond the normal workday, on weekends, and/or more than 40 hours a week as necessary.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Virginia, and occasionally to other states for conferences and training.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, to refrain from unlawful discrimination and to comply fully with all applicable laws; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and the ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
What Else You Should Know
ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination. Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to 90,000. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual family and medical leave, and short and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Claire Gastañaga, Executive Director, by email to email@example.com with “Director of Communications” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.