The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! We are looking for an enthusiastic and strategic executor who can translate long term plans into action and understands how to bring together diverse groups around a common goal. The ideal candidate is an empathetic relationship builder who knows how to lead a team and make every volunteer, ally, and community partner feel important. They see an opportunity for connection everywhere and enjoy bringing people together to support our campaign and organizational goals. The ideal candidate is not afraid of structure and can facilitate a community meeting where each person feels heard and the best ideas surface. Our next campaign manager will be able to motivate people with first-hand experience with the criminal legal system to invest their time into campaign efforts. Personal experience being incarcerated or in other ways connected to the criminal legal system is preferred. See full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The ACLU-VA is committed to cutting the number of people who are incarcerated in Virginia in ways that dramatically reduce racial and gender disparities in the criminal legal system while securing a constitutional right to vote for everyone. We are in it for the long haul and believe that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution. In line with that imperative, the ACLU of Virginia empowers people directly impacted by the criminal legal system and voter suppression to drive policy reform and lead our campaigns.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Executing and managing the implementation of two multi-year campaign goals developed collaboratively by the affiliate with authentic and meaningful participation by people directly impacted by the criminal legal system and voter suppression;
- Collaborating with various staff teams to determine and enact policy change strategies to be achieved through education, organizing, legislation or litigation that will achieve our campaign goals;
- Developing equitable and reciprocal relationships with community organizations and networks – particularly community members impacted by policing, incarceration, and voter suppression, and racial justice initiatives led by people of color;
- Identifying, nurturing, and elevating leadership of people directly affected by the criminal legal system or voter suppression policies and practices represented among the affiliate’s members and supporters and in the broader community to help shape and continuously inform campaign goals, tactics, and strategies.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Experience running, managing, or otherwise taking a leadership role in issue based, strategic advocacy, or electoral campaigns.
- Experience working with people involved in or affected by the criminal legal system.
- Expertise on the effects of the criminal legal system, including but not limited to lived experiences.
- Experience organizing in communities of color and people with diverse life experiences.
- Experience facilitating clear decision making in a group setting.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $59,000 to 79,000. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Jenny Glass, Director of Advocacy, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Campaign Manager” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling bases and will be accepted until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.