The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! We are looking for a collaborative and impact-driven Campaign Communications Strategist who wants to make a difference on civil liberties and civil rights in Virginia by designing and executing communications strategies for our current priority advocacy campaigns - Smart Justice, focused on significantly reducing the use of jails and prisons while reducing racial disparities within the criminal justice system and right to vote, focused on amending the Virginia constitution to affirm a right to vote that cannot be abridged by law. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who thrives in a busy, bustling environment with the ability to turn complex, long-term goals into clear, linear communications plans with steps that can easily be executed independently and in collaboration with others. The ideal candidate will also be an excellent communicator (oral and written) that can turn large ideas, problems and solutions into consumable content a diverse public can understand and rally behind. See full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The ACLU-VA is dedicated to reforming our criminal justice system, ending sex discrimination and ensuring equality for all, and protecting freedom of speech and religion, abortion access, voting rights, and right to privacy.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Working with our communications and advocacy teams to develop measurable communications plans that support our campaign goals;
- Executing campaign communications plans while regularly evaluating effectiveness and refining plans to have maximum impact;
- Supporting media relations related to campaigns, including writing press releases, pitching stories to targeted reporters, drafting talking points and coaching spokespersons, arranging interviews and making statements; and
- Working across staff teams to coordinate ACLU-VA presence at community events to promote our campaigns.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Working knowledge and basic understanding of civil liberties issues and advocacy strategies;
- Knowledge of the print and online media landscapes;
- Experience with an comfort using online media and tools, including social media.
- Strong self-motivation and ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse communities and people;
- Excellent writing, speaking and analytical skills;
- Ability to plan and meet deadlines with strong organizational skills and the ability to manage competing projects and priorities;
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $45,700 to $68,400. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Bill Farrar, Director of Strategic Communications, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Campaigns Communications Strategist” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed July 15, 2019 and will be accepted until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.